Consultation Letters For U.S. Visas
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) require foreign musicians submit a consultation letter from AFM with their application for a U.S. Visa. Please note that consultation letters will only be issued after carefully reviewing the evidence and information supplied to AFM when your petition package is complete and ready to be sent to the USCIS.
Frequently Asked Questions
O-1B Visas are for individual artists of international renown—that is, well known outside their home country.
P-1B Visas are for groups of international renown—that is, well known outside their home country.
P-2 Visas are for Canadian artists or musicians entering the United States through a government recognized reciprocal exchange program. If you need assistance with P-2 Visas, please contact our Canadian Office at 416.391.5161 or here.
P-3 Visas are for groups that are culturally unique—for example, musicians who perform folk music of their home country.
The USCIS requires musicians include a letter from an appropriate peer group or union (in this case AFM) establishing that the artist or group traveling to the United States meets the standard of being internationally renowned or culturally unique.
No. AFM issues consultation letters for artists and groups in which instrumentalists make up least 50% of the personnel. Other unions issue consultation letters for artists such as dancers, actors, stage managers, stage technicians, operatic singers and writers.
We need all of the following information to issue a consultation letter:
- Completed AFM questionnaire.
- Cover letter explaining who the musicians are, where they are from, and what qualifies them as culturally unique or internationally renowned.
- For P-1B and P-3 visas, please include a list of each musician and what instrument(s) they play.
- For P-1B visas, please also include the length of time each member has been with the P-1 group.
- Copy of completed USCIS Form I-129.
- Copies of any written contracts between the petitioner and the alien beneficiary, including what wages will be earned; or, if there is no written contract, a summary of the terms of the oral agreement under which the alien(s) will be employed.
- Copy of the itinerary for appropriate employment period.
- Support materials such as reviews, CD covers, programs, etc. which establishes the group or instrumental artist. Support materials must feature the instrumentalists—information on singers/actors/dancers only is not sufficient. Please do not submit more than 25 pages of support materials.
For O-1B, P-1B, and P-3 visas, the administrative processing fee for each consultation letter is:
- $250 for normal processing time (5 to 10 business days)
- $350 for expedited service (two business days)
- $550 for super-expedited service. If AFM receives a consultation letter request by 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time on a business day, a consultation letter will be ready by 5 p.m. the same day. If AFM receives a consultation letter request after 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time on a business day, a consultation letter will be ready by 1:00 p.m. on the next business day. Hard copies of all materials are still required for super-expedited service. As with all consultation letter requests, the time frame expectation is suspended if the petition is deficient in any way and additional information is needed.
Please note that you may pay one fee for a combined O1/O2 consultation letter if you submit the materials in one petition package.
We cannot accept personal checks or credit cards for this fee. Corporate checks, cashier’s checks or money orders should be made out to AFM Immigration Processing.**
**AFM’s offices are temporarily closed due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and staff are working remotely. During this time, we are accepting applications via email and will provide payment details for ACH or wire deposit will only after AFM has received an email with a completed application and all of the required supporting documents. Details are
AFM’s offices are temporarily closed due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and staff are working remotely. While AFM offices are closed, please email all materials to email@example.com
Email Application Steps
- Email a completed application and all of the required supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please only send us the amount of materials you would normally mail to AFM.
- Send all materials as PDFs. Please do not send links.
- Please do not send more than 25 pages of press documents, etc. (The 25 pages does not include contracts, itineraries, and the I-129).
- Payment details for ACH or wire deposit will be emailed to applicants only after AFM has received an email with a completed application and all of the required supporting documents.
- Applicants will email proof of payment to email@example.com
- Consultation letters will be emailed only after proof of payment is received and confirmed by AFM.